What is an OPL?
- A tool to convey information.
- Designed to enhance knowledge and skills in a short time, at the right time, whenever needed.
- To upgrade levels of expertise by having individuals study, learn and then train others in the knowledge or skill.
Who Creates OPL’s?
- Operators, Mechanics, Managers, Supervisors, Engineers, Office staff, etc.
- We are all responsible for upgrading the knowledge and skills of each other.
When Do You Create A OPL?
- Anytime it makes sense to convey some knowledge or skill to others.
- Safety, Health or Environmental issues.
- Quality requirements/improvements.
- Productivity requirements/improvements.
- To reinforce existing procedures.
- To explain new procedures or equipment.
- Anything from how to wash hands to how to handle a changeover on a specific line.
Guidelines to create OPL
Excel template can be downloaded here
Safety OPL example
Lock Out, Tag Out and Try Out Safety OPL example