What “Right First Time Changeover” means?
- RFT Changeover
- The structure of Changeover operations
- Operations to bring and to look for hand-tools, jigs, all tools for changeover and include material loading & unloading operations.
- Operations to exchange jigs, guides etc. from one things to others.
- Trial-and-error operations to meet with the quality range of products includes measuring & adjusting.
- RFT (Right First Time) Changeover means to minimize adjustment operations during changeover operations
- Improve adjustment operations to controlled setups.
Basic Ideas from SMED
- SMED (Single Minute Exchange Die) is the improvement program to reduce Changeover time at a stamping (press machine) shop in an automobile factories. The target for changeover time is less than “10 minutes”, so which is well known as “single minutes exchange die”.
- The basic idea from SMED is to categorize every operations into “an internal operation”and “an external operation”.
An internal operation is the operation during machine stopping, an external operation is the operation during machine running.
The Basic steps at SMED
Basic Rule – Improve Internal changeover operations to External operations.
- Observe changeover operations at “GEM BA” (Actual place / On site)
- Improve an internal operation into an external operation.
- Create Time & Operation Analysis Sheet (Worksheet)
- Categorize a type of operations;
RFT Changeover Improvement Scenario (Model)
Round-1 Changeover Kaizen
- Reduce the changeover time to “single minutes”.
- “Single minutes” means less than 10 minutes for changeover time.
Original idea; “Single minutes”
Example; Reduce 60 minutes to 9 minutes for changeover time per occurrence.
- Understand & use the basic ideas from “SMED”.
SMED; Single Minutes Exchange Die.
- Key learning
1) Time & Operation Analysis Sheet (Worksheet)
2) Improve internal changeovers to external one.
3) Functional Tightening
4) “SEND” (Changeover Kaizen Steps)
Time & Operation Analysis From (Worksheet)
- The worksheet – Time & Operation Analysis Sheet (Worksheet) – is to record how long
each internal operation takes and categorize types of operation for preparation, setup
- Identify improvement (Kaizen) opportunity at each step.
Ex. Rotate a screw in 10 times, Kaizen idea is to eliminate or reduce the number of
Round-1 Changeover Kaizen Steps
CAP-Do Cycle Board for Changeover Kaizen
Effective Tools for Changeover time reduction
S-E-N-D Kaizen Filter
Round-2 Changeover Kaizen Steps
Example of Adjustment
Round-3 Changeover Kaizen Steps
Round-4 Changeover Kaizen Steps
- Less than 3 minutes changeover time
- Changeover time is as long as Cycle time