- Unexpected equipment stoppage greater than 10 minutes due to equipment-related issue regardless of whether or not spare parts have been used.
- Mechanical Breakdown. Unexpected equipment stoppage greater than 10 minutes due to mechanical issue regardless of whether or not spare parts have been used.
- Electrical Breakdown. Unexpected equipment stoppage greater than 10 minutes due to electrical or controls (PLC) related issue regardless of whether or not spare parts have been used.
- Total time taken (including adjustments) to changeover from last product of one run at nominal speed and quality, until the first product of the next run at nominal speed and quality.
Cutting blade changes
- Line stoppage for changing items such as cutting blades which have worn out.
- Foil, packaging material and/or cutting blade change. Line stoppage for changing items such as cutting blades that have worn out or foil that has run out.
- Total time spent to prepare the line for start up or shut down.
- Start-Up. Total time taken (including adjustments) to prepare the line and achieve nominal speed and quality.
Note: does not include time spent to prepare processing areas.
- Ramp-Down. Time spent to clean up the line in order to shut down and establish appropriate conditions for effective start-up.
- Any unexpected equipment stoppage less than 10 minutes.
- Minor Stoppages. Any unexpected equipment stoppage less than or equal to 10 minutes.
- Speed loss (measured in time) due to running line at a speed less than the standard cycle time for a particular product/packaging.
Defects & Rework
- Time lost in producing non-conforming product and time to rework non-conforming product online (i.e. slowing down or stopping line for rework).
- Product / Raw Material Defects. Time lost due to non-conforming ingredients or finished goods.
- Packaging Material Defects. Time lost due to non-conforming packaging material (pouches, bags, cartons, cases, shippers, pallets, etc).
- Rework Time lost (or # of units) due to reworking non-conforming product at the line.
- Shutdown Loss is caused by stopping the equipment for periodical maintenance/inspection and for scheduled shutdown for legal inspection during the production stage. This also considers unavailable time (e.g. holidays/weekends), available unused time.
- Holidays and Weekends. Saturdays, Sundays and Statutory holidays.
- No Production Orders. No demand for products by the planning area.
- Planned Maintenance. Scheduled maintenance planned during the previous week of production (agreed with planning).
- Planned Lubrication Scheduled time for machine lubrication.
- Planned Trials and Tests. Scheduled trials, commissioning and tests planned during the previous week of production (agreed with planning).
- Planned Training and Meetings Scheduled trainings and meetings planned during the previous week of production (agreed with planning).
- Known Shortage of Operators Known shortage of operators during the previous week of production (planning is aware of shortage).
- Moving Teams to Other Activities. Scheduled safety drills, inventory activities, medical exams planned during the previous week of production (agreed with planning). This includes weather and other unexpected emergencies (eg. lack of trailers due to weather conditions).
- External Shortage of Utilities. External shortage of water, electricity, gas, SAP, WMS, etc.
- Known Shortage of Spare Parts. Scheduled packaging line downtime due to a known shortage of spare parts during the previous week of production (planning is aware).
- Planned Sanitation and Cleaning. Scheduled sanitation, cleaning, fumigation, etc. planned during the previous week of production (agreed with planning).
- Known Lack of Materials. Lack of materials on the site previously known when preparing the plan during the previous week (the line was planned down).
- These are the waiting time losses generated by management problems, such as failure to provide materials, spare parts, utilities, waiting instructions, etc.
- Unplanned Maintenance. Time lost due to repairs not planned more than 24 hours in advance. In this case the OEE shall be impacted for the current shift plus the following shift.
- Utilities Problems. Time lost due to internal utilities problems such as steam, electricity, air compressor, water, etc.
- Accidents. Time lost due to accidents with people, equipment or material.
- Waiting for Instructions. Time lost due to a lack of instruction to start the production.
- Failure to Plan Materials. Time lost due to inventory discrepancies, planning errors, excessive consumption or losses at the line and supplier failures. The OEE shall be impacted up to the end of the current shift.
- This includes losses created as a result of difference in skill levels and losses attributable to inefficient layout e.g. walking losses.
- Operational Failures. Time lost due to operational failures and mistakes, or differences in skill levels.
- Losses resulting from the shortage of operators on the line e.g. meal breaks and having to work on more equipment than was originally planned.
- No Relief. Time lost due to no relief for meal breaks.
- Unexpected Lack of Operators. Time lost due to unexpected lack of operators.
- Time wasted in inefficient delivery of raw, packing materials, product etc. to the line and removal of finished product from the line.
- Lack of Product from the Processing Area. Time lost due to lack of product from the Processing Area.
- Internal Lack of Materials. Time lost due to failure to provide materials from the warehouse to the line (due to lack of communication between operators and warehouse).
- Unable to Remove Finished Goods Time lost due to inability to store finished goods (lack of trailers; warehouse full; etc.)
Measurement & Adjustment
- Stoppages related to measurement and adjustment in the machine to avoid the recurrence of quality defects.
- Additional Cleaning. Any additional cleaning other than for start-up, ramp-down, or changeovers. (Independent of time).Quality Adjustment Any measurements and adjustments greater than 10 minutes due to quality defects
For any other circumstances not listed above the OEE shall be impacted for the current shift plus the following shift (maximum 16 hours).