Every manufacturing facility should have a set of SHE rules for workers and visitors/contractors. Rules must be designed in accordance with company policies as well as local legislation.
Please see below an example of Safety, Health and Environment Rules:
- Work at Heights
- Work involving a height of 2m or above requires work permit and fall arrest equipment
- Electrical Work
- Work involving electricity can only be performed by qualified and authorized professionals
- Lockout Tagout (LOTO)
- Equipment with powered parts must be locked out / tagged out before work begins. Any interventions while a machine is moving or able to move is strictly forbidden
- Always walk on the pathways and stay clear of forklifts. Report unsafe situations to supervisor immediately
- Never carry out tasks without adequate training
- Do not carry out tasks unless qualified to do so. Always follow proper procedures for each activity. Ask questions when in doubt
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Wear appropriate PPE for each area/task. Always maintain your PPE in good condition
- Visitors should always be accompanied by a company host supervisor/manager and wear appropriate PPE
- Contractors must follow all Company’s rules and procedures and always wear appropriate PPE
- Clean and Orderly work environment
- Keep area tidy and place all trash in appropriate waste bins
- Report accidents and incidents
- Report all accidents and incidents immediately to your supervisor – including property damage and near misses
- Use proper posture and position. Utilize appropriate equipment for transportation and lifting
- Respect all signage
- Respect and obey all signage. Walk, never run!
- Mobile Phones
- The use of mobile phones is laid out in the ‘Smart Phone Policy’. Never walk and talk or text!
- Smoking is prohibited, except for at the designated smoking area off company property at the site entrance
- Right to refuse work
- If a task given is deemed to be unsafe, the employee has the right to refuse to perform such task in accordance with OHSA. Immediately call your supervisor
- Sound the alarm. For evacuations, proceed to assembly point. Never re-enter the building unless told it is safe to do so.
Three Golden Safety Rules
- These three rules are considered the most critical in Manufacturing facilities;
- The rules are designed to protect you and your work colleagues;
- Breaking any of these rules will result in disciplinary action and potentially instant dismissal or in case of third party contractors – banning from working at current location or company wide.
Rule 1. Working at heights. It is considered “Work at heights” if the task involves working where your feet are 2 meters or higher above the ground. The standard is stricter (less than 2m) in cases where there is a hazard below where the worker could fall and hurt himself.
Work at heights must only be carried out by qualified and authorized employees.
Rule 2. Electrical Work. All electrical work poses high risk. Electrical work must only be performed by qualified and authorized personnel.
Rule 3. Lockout/Tagout. For equipment, machines and installations. Lockout/Tagout ensures that a machine cannot accidentally be energized while work is being performed. Equipment must be locked out / tagged out before any work begins. Any interventions are strictly forbidden while a machine is in movement or can potentially move.
This training is only for reference – always follow safety rules prescribed by your local legislation or H&S department.